Thursday, February 7, 2019

Horror, Netflix, and Myrna Loy


Today, in the next to the last webcomic chapter before my break, Alexis snags a book and something ethereal is in the shadows.

I will hiatus after Chapter 7, so I can illustrate the graphic novel for Kickstarter backers. If you want me to finish Gods of Aazurn: Witches for you, join us at the Kickstarter now. It's in its final week.


I have an occasional horror column appearing on Pop Culture Podium. "Strange and Weird Horror Lives on Netflix" was posted not long ago, with my recommendations for weird Netflix flix. You may find a movie here you haven't considered watching.


So many movies from the '30s and '40s are badly written or slow moving, I'm happy to find the brilliant ones. For date night with my wife I've been watching the Thin Man series with William Powell and Myrna Loy.

Mystery, comedy, and truly sophisticated conversation put these flicks on my top shelf. Former detective Nick Charles and his wealthy wife Nora investigate murder cases.

Myrna Loy's character is highly unusual for 1934. Nora Charles is certainly played for laughs but, because she is so highly capable, never laughed at. She and her husband are not detective and sidekick, they are a team.

Thumbs way up on these. The Thin Man, the first in the series, airs Sunday, February 10 on Turner Classic Movies.

+++

Yes, life is weird, but it's an adventure, and who wants boring? Find your center of peace in the turmoil and don't ever believe the world when it puts others above you. Take care of yourself and those you love.

In glorious service to our Aazurn overlords,
Gary Scott Beatty
StrangeHorror.com


No comments:

Post a Comment